*This post may have affiliate links, which means I may receive commissions if you choose to purchase through links I provide (at no extra cost to you). As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my disclaimer for additional details.
Refrigerators have become an important need for every household. Can you imagine your life without one? The market is full of assorted brands which sell many models to fulfill your everyday needs, plus provide extra value for your money through added specs and features.
However, that’s where the discussion begins. Many questions arise when you think about buying a new refrigerator; Which brands to acquire? How much capacity would be enough for you? What should be the preferable door type? and many more.
When it comes to a comparison between two top competitive brands, it becomes hard to select one. However, this guide will help to make a perfect decision according to your requirements. It will focus on the two brands LG and Whirlpool.
LG and Whirlpool are two top brands that go hand–in–hand in every criterion, whether it is the cooling factor, capacity, or any other aspect of the product. Here is a complete guide to giving you a better insight into which refrigerator may best meet your needs and preferences.
LG is a South Korean-based company that was founded by Koo In-hwoi in 1958. He named the company Gold Star, however, its name changed in 1955 to LG, meaning Life’s Good. LG is one of the big names in the world of electronics around the globe.
They are popular for manufacturing several high-quality products in distinct categories. These include household and kitchen appliances, various parts of vehicles, electronics, and many other solutions.
Their refrigerators are no exception and are built with the purpose of providing you the highest value for money.
Whirlpool is a trustworthy brand that offers the best quality items at the most affordable prices, so it’s no wonder it’s a preference for many households.
If we talk specifically about the refrigerators of Whirlpool, they provide different sized products with different capacities, be it a small one for the uni dorm or a mid to large-sized one for the kitchen of a household.
They also offer you variety in colors, which leaves you with a lot of options to choose from.
Whirlpool’s advanced technology and reasonable prices help you save money and energy overall.
Side-by-side refrigerators present a distinctive construct that allows you to keep your consumed food items with ease, without bending down to get what you want. Everybody knows how tiring it is to stoop repeatedly to find what you are looking for. So, the side-by-side model proposes a convenient eye-level fridge.
Side-by-side refrigerators provide you with sufficient space for effectual organization and aesthetics in your kitchen. Its two-door design enhances the beauty of your kitchen. The top thing that makes it a preference of many is that it occupies less space than bottom freezers.
Following are reviews of the two most popular side-by-side refrigerators of LG and Whirlpool.
The LG LSXS2636S is a perfect model of the side-by-side refrigerator with respect to size. It is a 26 cubic foot fridge that uses a double-door layout. Its door-in-door feature gives you an edge because it provides you with an extra storage section between inner and external doors.
This innovative compartment permits you to keep your frequently used food items close at hand. This model of refrigerator is a lifesaver for big families.
If you have been worried about waking up to sour milk, the Coldsaver Panel in the LG refrigerator comes to your rescue to maintain chilled air and avert air loss. It helps keep your food fresh and edible for a long time.
The frozen and fresh parts of the refrigerator provide glass shelves that make your items easily visible. It also offers novelty in the food section, including many doors and two crisper bins, which are quite spacious to keep your fruits and vegetables garden-fresh for you to savor later.
Other features which this fridge offers are an in-door icemaker with a little room to save ice and a water dispenser. You do not have to wait ages to get ice with this model.
Its built-in LED light does not disturb the temperature of your refrigerator because of its energy efficiency. In short, LG offers a vast number of features so that you have a reliable product throughout its life.
- Capacity – Its total capacity is 26.1 cubic feet. Its refrigerator and freezer have a capacity of 16.9 cubic feet and 9.2 cubic feet, respectively.
- Price – LG focuses on the middle class and upper-class sections. It places itself as a high-quality brand, so its prices range from moderate to high. The LG LSXS2636S is a mid-priced refrigerator as compared to other side-by-side fridge products. It gives you the edge of getting a superior quality product at an affordable price.
- Warranty – LG offers a five-year manufacturer’s warranty on the sealed system, with one year on the general system. On parts, it provides a one-year general warranty and five years on the sealed system. There is also a six to ten-year warranty on the linear compressor unit.
- Certification – Although it is not energy stared certified, it is still a best seller in the market. It is a J.D. Power award-winner, and has earned consumers’ trust.
- Finishing – It has stainless steel finishing. According to some buyer’s reviews, it does get finger smudges, however, it is not difficult to clean them with the help of ordinary wipes.
This Whirlpool side-by-side model offers both refrigerator and freezer at eye level. Its right side is to store fresh food while the left side is for frozen items. This could be a great option for those who frequently use the freezer along with the fridge.
With its water and outer ice dispenser, equipped with every drop filtration, you do not have to open the refrigerator for water, which will let you save on cooling. You have both crushed and cubed ice through its ice dispenser.
Its cooling system keeps your food items fresh for a long time. The deli drawer helps you to store meat or cheese. A built-in can-caddy in this refrigerator allows you to store a lot of drinks or beverages for movie night. Its wall-to-wall frameless glass shelves make it spacious.
The dimensions of this model are 66-5/8″ high by 32-3/4″ wide.
- Capacity – This model provides you 14.63 cubic feet capacity for a refrigerator. Its freezer capacity is 6.77cubic feet. It makes a total capacity of 21.4 cubic feet and open depth is 49.31 inches.
- Price – Whirlpool offers affordable household electronics. If you are looking for a refrigerator that could provide you excellent quality at a reasonable price, this model by Whirlpool is for you. Its price range starts at $1,399, which is less than other models of Whirlpool and many other brands.
- Warranty – Whirlpool provides you the warranty of one year from the day of installation or the day the refrigerator started functioning.
- Certification – Although it is also not energy-star qualified, however, it still wins over other products because of its additional features.
- Finishing – It has textured cabinet finishing. Its door style is contoured.
Some other additional features of Whirlpool Side-by-Side Refrigerator WRS321SDHZ
Following are some additional features that make it worth buying.
- Fingerprint resistant – This Whirlpool model is fingerprint-resistant. If your fridge gets stained with fingerprints you need not be worried because they are easily removable with the help of any glass cleaner.
- Adjustable Gallon Door Bins – This feature of the Whirlpool refrigerator helps you to fix the compartments anywhere in the door. It provides you the option of flexible loading in the fridge.
- Touch System Controls – This touch system makes it convenient for you to program the refrigerator and it is not difficult to clean as well.
- Hidden Hinges – Its secretly built hinges give an aesthetic look to your refrigerator.
- Electronic Temperature Controls – Whirlpool also provides you the feature of temperature controls. This way you could adjust the temperature according to the external environment of your home.
- Factory-Installed Icemaker – You can have ice (crushed or cubes) available at home 24/7 with its pre-installed ice maker. Its releases you from refilling ice trays repeatedly.
- Adaptive Defrost – It is necessary to have this feature of defrosting in your fridge. This adaptive defrost system maintains the environment of the refrigerator and runs the defrost cycle when required.
- LED Dispenser Night Light – Its LED Dispenser Night Light helps you to sneak food at night without turning on the main light of the kitchen. It also helps in keeping the temperature normal without emitting extra heat.
- Humidity-Controlled Crispers – Its humidity-controlled crispers help you to keep your fruits and vegetable garden fresh.
There are following some aspects you should keep in mind to make your selection easy.
- Capacity – When you buy a refrigerator it is necessary to check its capacity. If you have a bigger family, the high-capacity fridge should be your priority. People who live alone but like to arrange parties should also be inclined to buy a high-capacity refrigerator.
- Space – One must be considerate of space at his home before selecting a fridge. You must always check the measurement of the fridge before selecting it so that you could save yourself from future hassle.
- Defrosting Feature – It is necessary to choose a refrigerator with an automatic defrosting system. Automatic defrosting in the refrigerator helps you in even circulation of cooling everywhere, which saves fruits or vegetables from the hassle of freezer burn.
- Door Styles – Refrigerators come in unique styles. For instance:
- Mini Fridge
- Double Door
- Single Door
Although side-by-side is the costliest of all, however, it comes with advanced technology which makes it the best seller in the market.
- Energy Ratings – Always check the energy rating of the appliances and consider those with the highest ratings.
After all this research, Whirlpool may be a better option to go for because it is the biggest name in the USA, so you are more likely to find repair services. With LG, repair services can be difficult to find it is a bit difficult to find. Also, Whirlpool offers high-quality products with many features at lower prices, while it is hard for some to afford LG easily.
It’s hard to say which is more reliable because both brands garner their customers’ satisfaction. Both tend to make durable and high-quality products. According to many customers’ reviews, Whirlpool is more worth buying.
Why would an appliance repair person refuse to fix an LG refrigerator?
Many repair outfits may refuse to work on LG refrigerators because LG keeps changing its parts during production. It sometimes gets hard to find the appliance parts to fix the older fridges.
If your fridge goes out of order, it can be guesswork to find which parts will fit. They also do not stock extra parts for older models.
Which refrigerator is better, Whirlpool or LG in the same capacity?
Both companies make reliable products; however, it depends upon your needs.
If your budget is limited but you still want a model which could present a lot of features, then it is Whirlpool for you. Whirlpool comes with a variety of features that might make it a win.
Where can I buy a Whirlpool refrigerator?
You can buy Whirlpool refrigerators or any other home appliances from Whirlpool websites, stores, and most home centers. The company gives you an offer of free home delivery. If you cannot decide online, you could also visit one of their stores in the US to buy them.
Can I return a Whirlpool refrigerator?
You can return Whirlpool products within 15 days and the company will refund your money except for shipping or service charges. You can also return them after 15 days, but in that case, you will have to pay a 15% restocking fee.