*This post may have affiliate links, which means I may receive commissions if you choose to purchase through links I provide (at no extra cost to you). As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my disclaimer for additional details.
Ventilation plays a critical role in our homes. Most of our time and money is spent investing in living room and bedroom fans for air circulation, but have you ever thought that your laundry room might also require ventilation?
Unfortunately, laundry rooms tend to have some of the highest moisture levels in your house, which can contribute to mold and mildew if not controlled. An exhaust fan helps to remove the excess moisture from your laundry room without consuming too much energy.
Keep reading to learn more about why exhaust fans are necessary for laundry rooms. We also list some of the best exhaust fans to consider for your laundry room.
Table of Contents
Are Exhaust Fans Required in Laundry Rooms?
Although exhaust fans are not a must-have, they are good to have in a laundry room.
An exhaust fan also prevents lint fires when dryers aren’t cleaned or maintained after a long time. Additionally, exhaust fans keep the laundry room cool and functional.
Does a Laundry Room Need an HVAC?
A laundry room needs an HVAC to remove the humidity and heat caused by the washing machine and dryer. Having an HVAC unit also removes the smell from the detergents and other chemicals used in the laundry room.
What Size of Exhaust Fan Is Required for a Laundry Room?
Exhaust fans are rated depending on the amount of air they can move. That is measured in CFM, or cubic feet per minute.
You need one cubic foot per minute per square foot of room. That means you’ll need standard fan sizing if your laundry room is 100 sq. ft. or less.
Note that according to the International Residential Code, the minimum size of an exhaust fan in a laundry room should be 50CFM.
To get the right size, multiply the laundry room’s length by width to determine its square footage. That will help you get the right size of exhaust fan.
4 Best Exhaust Fans for the Laundry Room
Some of the best exhaust fans include:
1. Broan-NuTone Exhaust Fan 9093WH
- BATHROOM COMBO: Exhaust fan with heater and light combo powerful enough to heat rooms up to 65 sq. ft. Housing Dimensions- 13-1/4 x 13-1/4 x 7-1/2 inch
- EASY TO USE: Four-function wall switch included so you have the right switch to control all functions right out of the box
The Broan-NuTone 9093WH Exhaust Fan is one of the top-rated exhaust fans with a 1500-watt rating. Featuring a heater and light combo, the exhaust fan can heat a room that is 65 sq. ft.
As a DIY enthusiast, you’ll find the exhaust fan simple to install as it comes with installation instructions and pieces. A four-function wall switch allows you to have the right switch to control all the functions at your convenience.
The 70 CFM ventilation fan boasts impressive performance, allowing you to cool your laundry room without interfering with the rest of the house.
You’ll also love the extra 100-watt lighting, which provides ample light to help you do your laundry when you please.
- Works as an exhaust fan fitted with light and heater combination
- Simple to install
- It has a four-function wall switch that makes it easy to control all functions in one place.
- Some users felt that it was loud at times.
2. Panasonic Whisperceiling DC Fan
- Bathroom ceiling fan with a 4-inch or 6-inch duct adaptor; ideal for new construction and renovations
- This bathroom ceiling fan delivers quiet, powerful, and precise spot ventilation while removing moisture and pollution
The Panasonic Whisperceiling DC Ventilation fan features a pick-a-flow speed selector that allows you to choose your desired airflow in your laundry room.
That means you can adjust the fan operation between 110, 80, or 50 cubic feet per minute, depending on your preferences. You can place it in a laundry room of any size.
If you’ve dealt with a noisy exhaust fan before, you understand how distracting it can be. With the Whisperceiling fan, you can relax, as it’s one of the fans with quiet operation rated at 0.3 sones (a unit which measures loudness).
The manufacturer also includes Flex-Z fast brackets for easy installation. You can mount the fan without too much work. Its Energy Star rating makes it efficient and saves on utility bills.
- Simple to install
- Works in laundry rooms of different sizes
- Quiet operation
- Eliminates humidity, mold/mildew from the room
3. Air King Humidity Sensing Ceiling Fan
- Fan’s grill measures 11″ x 13-3/4″ and housing measures 10-7/8″ in length x 9-3/8″ in width x 7-7/8″ in depth
- Operates at 80 CFM at a very quiet 1.0 scones
- Integrated humidstat senses when to turn fan on or off: when humidity level reaches preset level, the fan turns on; when humidity level is below the preset level, the fan turns off
Designed explicitly for laundry rooms with increased humidity, the Air King Humidity Sensing Ceiling Fan is a must-have in any home.
The fan operates at 80 CFM and is one of the quieter exhaust fans, operating at 1.0 sones. Another impressive feature is the integrated humidistat sensor that turns the fan on automatically when humidity levels are beyond the preset level and off when the humidity levels are low.
Air King Humidity Sensing fan is ideal for a laundry room that is 75-100 sq. ft. It’s also simple to install and comes with adjustable hanging brackets.
- Energy Star-rated to save you money
- Quiet operation thanks to the plastic damper
- Simple to install thanks to the adjustable hanging brackets
- Comes with a four-inch round duct connector
- UL-listed for damp rooms
- Some users found the fan to be a little big
4. Broan-NuTone 688 Ceiling and Wall Ventilation 50 CFM Fan
- VERSATILE FAN: Ventilation fan helps eliminate humidity, tobacco smoke, and cooking odors. Install the compact fan between ceiling joists or wall studs – wherever it’s needed most!
- EFFICIENT: Operates on 50 CFM and has a 4. 0 Sone rating to ensure a peaceful surrounding when in operation
- EASY INSTALLATION: Torsion springs grille mounting – no tools necessary for a quick and easy installation
Broan Nu-Tone doesn’t disappoint when it comes to exhaust fans. The 688 Ceiling and Wall ventilation fan is another versatile fan that can help eliminate odors and humidity in your laundry room.
The manufacturer guarantees high-quality operation by including a lubricated motor with the polymeric blower wheel.
Additionally, you don’t need special tools to install this fan, as it has torsion springs grille mounting for easy installation.
You can enjoy a quiet operation as the fan has a 4.0 sone rating. It also operates on 50 CFM, making it ideal for small laundry rooms.
- Quick and straightforward to install
- Quiet operation
- Removes terrible odors and humidity
- Blends in with any decor or laundry theme
- Some users feel that it is loud, but not as loud as other fans
Having an exhaust fan in a laundry room helps to control moisture levels and prevents the formation of mold or mildew because of high humidity.
If you’re considering getting an exhaust fan, our list above has some of the best exhaust fans for your laundry room based on our research and user reviews.