*This post may have affiliate links, which means I may receive commissions if you choose to purchase through links I provide (at no extra cost to you). As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my disclaimer for additional details.
The bathroom is one of the places with the highest humidity levels. Unfortunately, too much humidity from a hot shower or during the warm months can lead to a damp environment.
Moisture contributes to mold and mildew growth, damaging your bathroom surfaces and leading to other respiratory issues. A bathroom exhaust fan effectively eliminates high humidity and can help create a healthy environment.
Read on as we list some of the best bathroom exhaust fans. Find out what features to look for when shopping for an exhaust fan.
Table of Contents
Can You Use an LED Bulb in a Bathroom Fan?
You can use an LED bulb in a bathroom exhaust fan. Besides being durable, LED bulbs also lower energy use, making them energy efficient.
Tips For Picking a Bathroom Exhaust Fan
Bathroom exhaust fans are available in different models, sizes, and shapes. Choosing the right exhaust fan can be overwhelming, given the multiple options available.
Our detailed guide lists some tips when selecting an exhaust fan for your bathroom.
1. Consider Air Flow and Motor Power
A small bathroom requires less airflow compared to a larger bathroom.
Exhaust fans have a CFM rating, which indicates the amount of air that moves through in a minute. Fans with a high CFM rating can process a lot of air and provide better ventilation.
This means you need a fan with a high CFM if you have many toilets, faucets, or other appliances in the bathroom. A good rule of thumb is to choose a fan with 1 CFM per square foot for a bathroom under 100 square feet.
For a larger bathroom, you need to add 50 CFM for each bath and shower, 50 CFM for every toilet, and 100 CFM for the washing machine and dryer.
2. Check the Noise Levels
Exhaust fan manufacturers use sones to rate a fan’s noise level. A quiet fan will have a 0.5-1.2 sones rating, while a noisy fan will have a rating of 4.0 or higher.
3. Don’t Forget About Energy Efficiency.
Choose a bathroom fan with an EnergyStar label. That shows that it’s been certified by the Home Ventilating Institute to use 60% less energy.
In certain states, you must have a unit evaluated for energy efficiency to get a building permit. Find out if your state’s building code requires such a unit before purchasing any fan.
Some manufacturers, like Panasonic, include quiet motors in their fans with a direct current motor that contributes to energy efficiency. Compare the options available and find a fan that meets your needs.
4. Extra Features
Modern bathroom fans have unique features that ensure the unit is effective.
Some of these features include:
- Humidity Sensor: Such a fan switches on when it detects high humidity levels.
- Motion Sensor: the feature turns the fan on when you walk into the bathroom. You can pre-set the fan speed to remove daily moisture.
- Inbuilt Heater: Some fans have infrared heat lamps that heat the bathroom when it’s cold.
4 Best Bathroom Exhaust Fans
Some of the best bathroom exhaust fans with LED light include:
Delta Breeze Radiance Exhaust Bathroom Fan with Light
- Quiet operation at 1.5 sones
- Built-in thermostat regulates temperature. Energy efficiency at 7.6 CFM/Watt
- Precision engineered with DC brushless motor for extended reliability, this fan will outlast many household appliances
The Delta Electronics Breeze Radiance Exhaust Bathroom Fan is a unique fan that combines the functions of a fan, heater, and light.
The DC Brushless motor technology ensures the exhaust fan is reliable and durable. You don’t have to worry about installing the fan in your bathroom, as it has galvanized steel that is rust and corrosion resistant.
The manufacturer ensures the fan is virtually silent, with the 80 CFM fan running at less than 0.3 sones. There’s also a built-in thermometer that maintains a constant temperature.
Other features, like the heater module with thermal cut-off, metal guard, and four-inch duct diameter add to the convenience of this bathroom fan. Furthermore, the fan is EnergyStar-qualified, which guarantees low energy consumption.
- Delivers quiet operation
- Has DC brushless motor technology for added durability and reliability
- Comes with a built-in thermostat to regulate temperature
- Consumes less energy
- Some users didn’t like the plastic vents
Panasonic WhisperFit FV-0811VFL5E Ventilation Fan
- Retrofit Solution: Ideal for residential remodeling, hotel construction or renovations
- Low Profile: 5-5/8-Inch housing depth fits in a 2 x 6 construction
- Pick-A-Flow Speed Selector: Allows you to pick desired airflow from 80 or 110 CFM
The Panasonic WhisperFit EZ Retrofit Ventilation Fan with Light is another bathroom exhaust fan that delivers good value for the price.
Unlike other exhaust fans, the WhisperFit comes with a pick-a-flow speed selector that allows you to choose your desired airflow, ranging from 80-110 CFM.
The manufacturer also includes a flex-z fast bracket that allows quick and straightforward installation.
There’s a 10-watt LED light chip panel and a 1-watt LED night light for an evening glow. It gets its name “WhisperFit” due to its quiet nature, being rated at 0.3 sones.
- EnergyStar-certified to save on energy
- It has a low-profile design that fits in your bathroom without interfering with your decor
- Simple to install thanks to the flex install bracket
- Some users felt that the LED light was too bright
- You may find the installation instructions complicated
- Expensive for those on a limited budget
Broan-NuTone 678 Exhaust Fan
- FAN COMBO: Exhaust fan and light combo helps reduce foul smell and and is powerful enough for rooms (including bathroom) up to 45 sq. ft. for your convenience
- EFFICIENT: Bright 100-watt lighting capacity (bulb not included) with shatter-resistant light diffusing lens to provide high-quality lasting use
- EASY INSTALLATION: Easy to install and/or replace existing product for DIY’ers. Includes polymeric duct connectors with tapered sleeves for easy, positive ducting and a plug-in, permanently lubricated motor. Our instillation guide is located above the reviews on this page.
The Broan-NuTone 678 Ventilation Fan and Light Combo is ideal for 45 sq. ft. bathrooms with its 50 CFM air movement capacity.
Fitted with a bright 100-watt light bulb with a light-diffusing lens, it provides light to your bathroom and is durable. The manufacturer also adds polymetric duct connectors with tapered sleeves for easy installation.
Furthermore, because it is UL-listed, you can comfortably use it over showers and bathtubs. Its 2.5 sone rating also allows the fan to operate silently.
- Fitted with a shatter-resistant light lens
- Ideal for 45 square feet of space
- Quick and easy installation
- Some users felt that the diffused lighting was dim compared to other fans
- The fan may be loud with the 2.5 sone rating
Homewerks Bathroom Fan with Integrated LED Light Exhaust Fan
- OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCE: This Homewerk’s bath fan ensures comfort in your home by quietly eliminating moisture and humidity in the bathroom. This exhaust fan is 0.7 sones at 50 CFM which means it’s able to manage spaces up to 50 square feet and is whisper quiet.
- BATH FANS HELPS REMOVE HARSH ODOR: When cleaning the bathroom or toilet, harsh chemicals are used and they can leave an obnoxious odor behind. Homewerk’s bathroom fans can help remove this odor with its powerful ventilation
- BUILD QUALITY: Designed to be corrosion resistant with its galvanized steel construction featuring a modern style round shape and has an 4000K Cool White Light LED Light. AC motor
You should get the Homewerks Bathroom Fan if you’re looking for a fan that quietly eliminates humidity and moisture in your bathroom. With a 0.7 sone rating, the bathroom exhaust fan is ideal for spaces that are 50 square feet.
The fan’s quality is unmatched, as it is corrosion resistant. The manufacturer adds a 4000K cool white LED light to further illuminate your bathroom.
Homewerks also adds a 3-year limited warranty on the fan as a guarantee of the construction and quality of their products.
- Quality and durable construction
- Perfect for bathroom spaces of up to 50 square feet
- Fitted with a white LED light
- Comes with a 3-year limited warranty
- Some users felt that it was expensive and lacked premium features.
Keeping your bathroom ventilated is essential. A bathroom exhaust fan removes the excess humidity and moisture levels in your bathroom, ensuring that you have a cool environment free of mold and mildew.
Remember to get a fan that fits your room size, has suitable airflow capacity and desirable noise levels, and comes with an additional light module to keep your bathroom illuminated.
Feel free to compare and find an exhaust fan from the ones listed above based on your preferences and current needs.