*This post may have affiliate links, which means I may receive commissions if you choose to purchase through links I provide (at no extra cost to you). As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my disclaimer for additional details.
Water causes more property damage than any other natural element, at least according to most insurance companies. Even if you don’t live in a flood zone, sinks and toilets can develop leaks that can cause flood-like damage.
Installing a smart water-meter or leak detector can save you time, effort, and money. Most use an application that gives you control from anywhere and sends alerts when there’s a problem. It will detect where the leak is coming from, be it the pipes or washing machine.
Some models even let you shut the water off while you’re miles away on vacation if there’s a leak that’s going to turn your home into a swimming pool.
Here are the best 9 smart water-meter options for your home.
Table of Contents
Are There Smart Meters for Water?
There are smart water-meters and installing one can keep your home safe from damage. It will help you detect leaks before they become major issues and cause flooding.
Choosing the best smart water-meter for you depends on your household needs.
You might want a leak detector that simply alerts you to a problem. Maybe you want one that will turn off the water system automatically when it realizes there’s an issue. Figure out which system is best for you and then determine your budget.
Consider the climate of your area. Some smart water-meter options will alert you to temperature changes, humidity, and frozen pipes.
3 Top Reasons to Get A Smart Water-Meter
Getting a smart water-meter is the way to go if you want to protect your home from damage, and here are the top reasons why.
1. It Improves the Efficiency of Your Water System
According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), household leaks across the country waste almost 900 billion gallons of water every year. That’s about as much water as 11 million homes use annually.
A smart meter helps you monitor your water consumption by providing accurate data. You can prevent waste by adjusting how much you use and fixing leaks as they happen.
Most come with an application and can integrate with your home’s smart capabilities. You will get alerts about any problems that arise. Some smart water-meters will automatically shut off your water system if it detects a massive leak in the pipes.
2. Smart Water-Meters Can Help to Prevent Major Water Damage
Most smart water-meters come with an application or can easily integrate with your home’s smart capabilities. You will receive an alert when anything happens to your water system, which can help prevent major damage.
It’s an especially useful tool if you travel a lot and want to rest assured that there is no flooding at your house while you’re away.
Smart water-meters can also detect when humidity levels reach more than 55% to help prevent mold from developing.
Water leaks can account for up to 100,000 gallons of waste for a single household. That is a lot of money to pay for wasted water every month. Having a smart meter that monitors your water usage and leaks can reduce your monthly costs.
Place your smart water-meters around your home using a logical system. Some of the best places to put these devices are:
- Water heaters
- Water coolers
- Washing machine
- Water pipes
Are Smart Water-Meters Safe?
Smart water meters are safe to use. They use superior security to keep your data safe. Many times these leak detector systems need professional installation. It helps increase the safety of your smart water meter.
We have a list of 9 amazing smart water-meter options for your home. Find the one that meets your household needs to protect your home and start saving money today.
1. Flo by Moen Smart Water Detector
- PROTECT YOUR HOME FROM WATER DAMAGE: Can be placed in the home wherever there is a risk for potential water damage, such as a flooding basement, washing machine leak, hot water tank failure, etc
- 24/7 PROTECTION: Smart technology detects leaks to help reduce the risk of water damage by providing 24/7 monitoring
The Flo by Moen Smart Water Detector is the perfect device for those who want to monitor their system without needing to shut it off. It easily senses leaks, humidity, and temperature changes to prevent damage.
The best part is that you can install it yourself. You can secure it onto the wall to prevent it from washing away if a flood occurs as it comes with a four-foot cable.
It has an alarm that reaches 85-decibels when it finds any water issues. It has dual sensors and can work with a shut-off system if you sync it with the Flo by Moen Smart Water Shutoff.
- The alarm is loud
- It uses dual sensors
- Has an app and works with Alexa, Google Assistant, IFTTT (If This Then That), and Control4
- Works in a single spot rather than the whole home
- Doesn’t shut off the water
2. leakSMART Leak Detection Starter Kit
- 24/7 PROTECTION- No Wi-Fi, no power, no problem. LeakSmart operates off a smart home protocol with battery backup that functions and protects even when power and Wi-Fi are down
- AUTOMATIC 5 SECOND SHUT OFF – Knowing you have a leak in your home is good, knowing where the leak came from is great, but shutting off the homes water automatically in 5 seconds is even better
The leakSMART Leak Detection Starter Kit is perfect for people who need a shutoff valve. It will automatically turn off your water if it detects any severe damage. It uses a wireless Zigbee connection and works with most smart home infrastructure like Google Nest and Alexa.
This smart water meter comes with a backup battery. You will need a plumber for installation. One pitfall of this leak detector is that it doesn’t monitor your water consumption.
- Comes with a backup battery
- Has an app and works with Google Nest, Wink, Google Assistant, Amazon Alexa, Control 4, and SmartThings
- Has a shutoff valve
- It needs a hub
- Can’t monitor your water consumption
- Requires a plumber for installation
3. D-Link DCH-S161 Wi-Fi Water Sensor
- Battery powered: 2 AA batteries can last up to 1 and a half years; The water sensor sends you a notification when it’s time for a change
- Sensor probe: Designed to be sensitive, detecting shallow leaks to give you an early warning
The D-Link DCH-S161 Wi-Fi Water Sensor has an exceptionally loud alarm (90-decibels) and is battery powered. You can turn the alarm off on the device or use the app. Not many smart water meter options offer this feature.
The 6-foot sensor cable doesn’t have a temperature detector and isn’t always as quick to register a leak as other models. That being said, using power-saving mode will help your battery last for up to a year and a half.
- Has an app and works with Google Assistant and IFTTT
- Works with your Wi-Fi
- Has an exceptionally long-lasting battery
- Sometimes has connectivity issues
- The cable doesn’t monitor temperature
4. Flo by Moen Smart Water Shutoff
- AUTOMATIC SHUTOFF: Learns your home’s water usage patterns to identify abnormalities like running water or small leaks and will automatically turn off water to prevent damage
- REAL-TIME NOTIFICATIONS: The device monitors your home’s water, sending you app, phone call and email alerts for potential leaks whether you’re at home or away
You can use the Flo by Moen Smart Water Shutoff on its own or with the Flo by Moen Smart Water Detector. It comes with extended insurance coverage if you register for the full list of services. You’ll receive an official letter once set up.
You can also set up FloProtect for an additional fee ($5 per month) and get features like live-chat support. It also comes with a three-year warranty.
This smart meter also monitors your daily water usage, temperature, and water pressure.
- Has an app and works with Alexa, Google Assistant, IFTTT, and Control4
- Covers insurance deductibles if you sign up
- Is compatible with most water pipes, including 3/4-, 1-inch, and 1.25-inch
- Can shut off your water
- Doesn’t come with a backup battery
- Must subscribe to use all the features
- Needs professional installation
5. Phyn Plus Smart Water Assistant + Shutoff
- Water leak detection + water monitor system that helps save money on water usage and prevents frozen pipes
- Smart Home-enabled water sensor alarm detects drips and leaks, keeping your home watertight
If you need a leak detector and valve, then the Phyn Plus Smart Water Assistant and Shut-off is the best way to go. It will detect leaks and automatically turn the water off if there is a major issue.
You can use it to monitor your whole house instead of just a single location like other models. A professional plumber will install it either inside or outside, depending on what’s best for your home.
While there are no extra fees associated with this smart water meter, it does need to be plugged in at all times.
- Has an app and works with Alexa, Google Assistant, and IFTTT
- Will monitor your water consumption
- It has a shut-off valve
- It protects your whole home
- Quite expensive compared to other models
- Doesn’t have a backup battery
6. Flume 2 Smart Home Water Monitor
- 24/7 SMART WATER LEAK DETECTOR: Flume’s smart water leak detection technology is always on guard alerting you to water leaks inside the home as well as in your lawn or garden. Gain peace of mind whether you’re at home or away with water leak alerts delivered directly to your phone via the Flume Water app. Stop water leaks and protect your home today with Flume.
- SMART WATER USAGE MONITORING: Dig up the details your standard water bill doesn’t with Flume’s smart water monitoring technology. Flume delivers detailed water use insight data directly to your smartphone so you’re always in the know. Take the guessing game out of your water usage and take control to reduce waste and conserve water
The Flume 2 Smart Home Water Monitor delivers on simplicity and efficiency. It has a longer battery life than the Flume 1 and improved connectivity infrastructure.
The improved sensors can monitor where the water is coming from and are far more accurate than before. It will tell you when a leak happens, even if the pipes are frozen. The only pitfall is that it doesn’t have an automatic shut-off valve.
You can monitor your water usage, and the Flume 2 will make recommendations on how to improve your consumption.
- Can install it without professional help and cutting into your water pipe
- Monitors every aspect of your home’s water system, including irrigation
- It has updated sensors
- Simple app and integrates with Google Assistant, Alexa, or IFTTT
- Can’t turn off the water
7. Orbit B-Hyve Smart Flood Sensor
- ADVANCED WATER LEAK DETECTION DEVICE – Our water leak detectors for homes provide reliable protection against potential water damage, ensuring early detection and timely alerts.
- PEACE OF MIND SECURITY – With our water detector alarm, you can rest easy knowing that you’ll be immediately notified of any water leaks or flooding, helping you take quick action to prevent costly damage.
The Orbit B-Hyve Smart Flood Sensor has incredible water detection capabilities. Only a few drops will trigger a loud alarm, plus an alert is sent to the app. It’s super small and light, so you can place it anywhere in your home without creating an eyesore.
This smart water meter monitors the outside temperature and will alert you if your pipes freeze. It also lets you know when temperatures move outside your desired range. It has a replaceable battery that lasts for about one year.
It comes with a B-hyve Gen 2 Wi-Fi hub that uses Bluetooth 5.0 to connect with the flood sensors.
- Has an app and comes with its own Wi-Fi hub
- Monitors the temperature and your water usage
- Has a decent battery life
- Connectivity issues
- Challenging to set up
8. Streamlabs Smart Home Water Monitor
- MONITOR LEAKS & TRACK WATER USAGE: StreamLabs smart home water monitor detects water leaks and tracks water usage using ultrasonic technology. It works by sending sound waves to your main water line & records the time delay to measure water flow.
- GET REAL-TIME ALERTS FROM THE APP: Using the free standard subscription through the StreamLabs app, you can set up real-time alerts on your smart phone. Enhanced subscription available for extended alert history, historical water usage & more.
If you live in a rental home, then it might be challenging to install a smart water meter. You’ll have to get approval from the landlords.
The Streamlabs Smart Home Water Monitor solves that problem. Simply snap it onto the outside of any water pipe and start monitoring your water system.
It uses ultrasonic sensors to keep track of all the water that’s flowing through your home. It also monitors temperature and keeps accurate data so that you can improve your water consumption.
- One of the simplest installation processes
- You don’t have to cut or move any pipes
- No plumbing is required whatsoever
- You can monitor your water usage data from the app
- You need to subscribe for all the features
- Doesn’t come with a shut-off valve
9. Guardian Leak Prevention Kit
- Install in minutes
- Will automatically close your water main when the Leak Detector senses leaks, freezing temperatures, or earthquakes
Most smart water meters that come with a shut-off valve require professional installation, but not the Guardian Leak Prevention Kit. It’s easy to install on your own.
It sits on the outside of your water pipe and uses the valve that’s there.
It works best with valves that are 0.5 to 1 inch in size and use a quarter-turn metal ball system. Place the three water sensors in areas with the most chance of leakage. You can purchase more if you need them.
It automatically tests its own systems to make sure everything is in running order. The two biggest pitfalls are that it can’t monitor your water usage and doesn’t work with any smart home technology. It does have an app.
- Can install on your own
- It will work even if it’s offline
- Comes with a backup battery
- Has a shut-off valve
- Can’t monitor your water consumption
- Won’t work with smart home technology
Get a smart water meter installed in your home if you’re looking to save money and prevent water damage.
Think about what your household needs are to find the best tool for you.
- Eve Water Guard - Apple HomeKit Smart Home Water Leak Detector
- Proteus AQUO - WiFi Water Detector
- Resideo Wi-Fi Water Leak Detector
- Phyn Smart Water Assistant